In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burn like this:
BURN, a township in Brayton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Selby canal, adjacent to the river Aire, 3 miles SW of Selby. Acres, 2,372. Real property, £2,923. Pop., 320. Houses, 63.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Selby. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burn, in Selby and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burn".