In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burghwallis like this:
BURGH-WALLIS, a township and a parish in Doucaster district, W. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the Roman road to York, adjacent to the Dutch river, 1¾ mile SW of Askerne r. station, and 7 NNW of Doncaster; and it includes parts of the hamlets of Robin Hood's Well and Haywood. Pop., 226. Houses, 39. The parish includes also part of the township of Sutton; and its Post Town is Askerne, under Doncaster. Acres, 1,700. Real property, exclusive of the part of Sutton, £2,555. Pop., 237. Houses, 42. The property is divided among a few. Burgh-Wallis House belonged formerly to the Anns; but belongs now to M. Tasburgh, Esq.; and the ancient mansion has given place to a modern one. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £275.* Patron, M. Tasburgh, Esq. The church contains some old monuments, and is fair.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burghwallis has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Doncaster. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burghwallis and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burghwallis, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burghwallis".