In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Holt like this:
HOLT, a chapelry in Bradford-on-Avon parish, Wilts; on the river Avon, near the Kennet and Avon canal, and at the junction of the Devizes railway with the Wilts, Somerset, and Weymouth railway, and near the Bathampton branch of the Great Western railway, 2½ miles ENE of Bradford. It has a station at the railway junction, and a post office under Trowbridge; and it was constituted in 1846. Real property, with Leigh and Woolley, £10, 767. Pop. of H. alone, 809. Houses, 191. The manor belongs to Burton Foster, Esq. ...
The wool and leather trade, and the manufacture of fine woollen cloth, are carried on. A mineral spring, discovered in 1718, is noted for removing cutaneous diseases. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £120. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Bristol. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There are an Independent chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Holt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Holt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Holt in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Holt".