In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Hinton like this:
HINTON (LITTLE), or HITON-PARVA, a parish in Highworth district, Wilts; near the boundary with Berks and near the Ridge way, 3 miles S of Shrivenham r. station, and 5 E of Swindon. It has a post office under Shrivenham. Acres, 1,815. Real property, £3, 604. Pop. in 1851, 354; in 1861, 298. Houses, 64. The pro. perty is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £444.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is partly transition Norman, partly decorated English; and was restored in 1861. Charities £35.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Little Hinton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swindon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Little Hinton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Hinton, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th October 2014
You have reached this page because "Hinton Parva" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with Little Hinton.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hinton Parva".