In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broad Hinton like this:
BROAD-HINTON, a parish in Marlborough district, Wilts; 4¼ miles SE of Wooton-Basset r. station, and 6 SSW of Swindon. It has a post office under Swindon. Acres, 3,659. Real property, £2,826. Pop., 657. Houses, 141. The property is divided among about sixteen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £302.* Patron, St. Nicholas Hospital, Salisbury. The church is old but good; and has a square embattled tower. The vicarage of Broad Town is a separate benefice. A school has £42 from endowment; and other charities have £32. Sir John Glanville, the eminent lawyer, was a resident.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broad Hinton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broad Hinton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broad Hinton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broad Hinton".