In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hilperton like this:
HILPERTON, or HILPRINGTON, a village and a parish in Melksham district, Wilts. The village stands near the Somerset and Weymouth railway and the Kennet and Avon canal, 1½ mile NNE of Trowbridge; and has a post office under Trowbridge. The parish comprises 1, 078 acres. Real property, £3, 238. Pop. in 1851, 996; in 1861, 880. Houses, 209. The manufacture of cloth is carried on; and the decrease of pop. was caused by the substitution of power looms for hand looms. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Walter Long, Esq. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Whaddon, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £418.* Patron, W. Long, Esq. The church is good, and has a tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hilperton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hilperton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hilperton in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hilperton".