In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Boldon like this:
BOLDON, two villages and a parish in South Shields district, Durham. The villages are West and East Boldon; and the former stands in the southern vicinity of the Brandling Junction railway, 4½ miles NW of Sunderland, and has a post office under Gateshead; while the latter is about a mile to the E.The parish comprises 3,954 acres. Real property, £8,637. Pop., 1,024. Houses, 211. The property is much subdivided. The manor has belonged, from time immemorial, to the see of Durham; and gives name to the "Boldon Buke," an ancient survey of the diocese, preserved in the cathedral. ...
Limestone is abundant. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £653.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church is early English, and has several memorial windows put up in 1851. There are a chapel of ease, an Independent chapel, built in 1863, a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Boldon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Tyneside. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Boldon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Boldon, in South Tyneside and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Boldon".