In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gate Burton like this:
BURTON-GATE, a parish in Gainsborough district, Lincoln; on the river Trent and on the Lincoln and Gainsborough railway, 1½ mile NNW of Marton station, and 5 SSE of Gainsborough. Post Town, Marton, under Gainsborough. Acres, 1,108. Real property, £2,030. Pop., 115. Houses, 24. Burton Hall is the seat of W. Hutton, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £88.* Patron, W. Hutton, Esq.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gate Burton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Lindsey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gate Burton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gate Burton, in West Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gate Burton".