In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heddington like this:
HEDDINGTON, a village and a parish in Calne district, Wilts. The village stands under Roundway hill, adjacent to the Julian way, 3 miles S by E of Calne r. station, and 3½ N by W of Devizes; and is supposed, by many antiquaries, to occupy the site of the Roman station Verlucio. Many Roman coins, urns, and other relics have been found in the village and its neighbourhood. The parish comprises 1, 686 acres. Post town, Calne, under Chippenham. Real property, £2, 831. Pop., 362. Houses, 86. An ancient camp is on Bagdon hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £239.* Patron, the Rev. F. H. Du Boulay. The church has a pinnacled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Heddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Heddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heddington in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Heddington".