In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hardenhuish like this:
HARDENHUISH, or HARNISH, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; adjacent to the Great Western railway, 1½ mile NW of Chippenham. Post town, Chippenham. Acres, 1, 477. Real property, £1, 227. Pop., 117. Houses, 27. The property is divided among a few. Hardenhuish Park is the seat of E. L. Clutterbuck, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £90. * Patron, E. L. Clutterbuck, Esq. The church is good; and the churchyard contains the tomb of Thorpe, the antiquary, and a marble monument to Ricardo, the political economist. There is a free school. Anstey, the author of the "New Bath Guide, " died here.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hardenhuish has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hardenhuish and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hardenhuish in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th March 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hardenhuish".