In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hannington like this:
HANNINGTON, a village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands 2 miles W by N of Highworth, 2 S of the river Thames at the boundary with Gloucester, and 7 NE of Swindon Junction r. station; is a pretty place, built in the form of the letter Y; and has a post office under Swindon. The parish comprises 2, 412 acres. Real property, with Inglesham and Lynt, £6, 469. Pop., 378. Houses, 81. Hannington bridge leads over the Thames into Gloucestershire; and Hannington-Wick has a fine view. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131. Patrons, the Trustees of the late Col. Freke. The church is good, has a square tower, and contains monuments of the Frekes. There are a chapel of ease at Hannington-Wick, a free school, and charities £50.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hannington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swindon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hannington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hannington, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 08th February 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hannington".