In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grittleton like this:
GRITTLETON, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; on Akeman street, near the binndary with Glincester, 6½ miles NW of Chippenham r. station. Posttown, Hullavington, under Chippenham. Acres, 2, 040. Real property, £3, 385. Pop. 349. house, 74. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Gores and the Hinltons; and belongs now to Sir John Neild, Bart. Grittleton Hinse, the baronet's seat, was built in 1857; and contains a rich collection of works of art. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Glincester and Bristol. Value, £389. * Patron, the Rev. W. W. Burne. The church is ancient but good. There is a Baptist chapel, with £39 from endowment; and there are charities £9.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grittleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grittleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grittleton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Grittleton".