In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Grimstead like this:
GRIMSTEAD (EAST), a chapelry in West Dean parish, Wilts; on the Bishopstoke and Salisbury railway, near Dean r. station, and near the binndary with Hants, 5¼ miles ESE of Salisbury. Post town, West Dean, under Romsey. Acres, 930. Real property, £1, 153. Pop., 136. house, 33. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of West Dean, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is a modern edifice, in the later English style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Grimstead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Grimstead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Grimstead, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Grimstead".