In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Grafton like this:
GRAFTON (East), a tything and a chapelry in Great Bedwin parish, Wilts. The tything lies near the Kennet and Avon canal, about 3 miles SSE of Savernake r. station, and 6½ N of Ludgershall. The chapelry was constituted in 1844; and it has a post office under Marlborough. Rated property, £4, 887. Pop., 1, 011. Houses, 195. The property is divided among three. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £115. Patron, the vicar of Great Bedwin. The church was built in 1842; is an elegant edifice in the Norman style, with a north-western tower; and has a memorial window, put up in 1856, to the late Marquis of Ailesbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Grafton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Grafton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Grafton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st April 2015
You have reached this page because, for example, "East Grafton" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with Grafton.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Grafton".