In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Froxfield like this:
FROXFIELD, a village and a parish in the district of Hungerford and county of Wilts. The village stands near the Kennet and Avon canal, and near the Mid Wilts railway, 3¼ miles W of Hungerford; and has a post office under Hungerford. The parish includes the tythings of Hughditch, Oakhill, and Rudge. Acres, 2, 214. Real property, £2, 926. Pop., 530. Houses, 144. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £122. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Windsor. The church is very good. The Duchess of Somerset's almshouses here were founded in 1686; form an oblong quadrangle, surrounding a court, with a small chapel in the interior; gave maintenance to thirty widows of clergymen, and twenty widows of laymen; and have an endowed income of £2, 370.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Froxfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Froxfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Froxfield, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Froxfield".