In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Foxley like this:
FOXLEY, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; on Akeman-street, near the boundary with Gloucester, 3 miles WSW of Malmsbury, and 8 N by W of Chippenham r. station. Post town, Malmsbury, under Chippenham. Acres, 750. Real property, with Bremilham and Westport, £6, 335. Pop., 65. Houses, 14. The manor belonged to the Berkeleys; passed to the Ayliffes and the Foxes; and gave the title of Baron Foxley to Lord Holland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £261.* Patron, Lady Holland. The church is ancient, and contains some old monuments.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Foxley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Foxley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Foxley in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Foxley".