In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fovant like this:
FOVANT, or Foffont, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on the river Avon, adjacent to the Salisbury and Exeter railway, 2 miles SW by W of Dinton r. station, and 7 WSW of Wilton. It has a post office, of the name of Fovant, under Salisbury. Acres, 2, 160. Real property, with Sutton-Mandeville, £5, 351. Rated property of F. alone, £2, 701. Pop., 600. Houses, 129. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 465.* Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church is ancient; has a fine tower, and a curious brass of 1492, and was recently in disrepair.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fovant has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fovant and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fovant, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fovant".