In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Fisherton de la Mare like this:
FISHERTON-DE-LA-MERE, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on the river Wiley, adjacent to the Somerset and Weymouth railway, near Wiley r. station, 8½ miles NW by W of Wilton. It includes Bapton hamlet; and its post town is Codford-St. Mary, under Bath. Acres, 2, 861 Rated property, £2, 785. Pop., 333. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the De la Meres of Nunnery Castle, in Somerset; and Fisherton House, now the seat of John Davis, Esq., is thought to occupy the site of their mansion. The parish is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £135. Patron, John Davis, Esq. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1833, and has a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Fisherton de la Mare has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Fisherton de la Mare and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Fisherton de la Mare, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Fisherton de la Mare".