In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Etchilhampton like this:
ETCHILHAMPTON, a tything-chapelry in All-Cannings parish, Wilts; at the source of the Avon, near the Mid-Wilts railway, 2 miles ESE of Devizes. Post town, Devizes. Real property, £2, 228. Pop., 252. Houses, 58. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of All-Cannings, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is ancient.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Etchilhampton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Etchilhampton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Etchilhampton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Etchilhampton".