In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Erlestoke like this:
EARL-STOKE, or Erlstoke, a parish in Devizes district, Wilts; near the north border of Salisbury plain, 2½ miles W of Market-Lavington, and 5½ SSW of Devizes r. station. It has a post office under Westbury. Acres, 2, 400. Real property, £2, 442. Pop., 378. Houses, 77. The manor belonged to the Monthermers and the Montacutes, Earls of Gloucester and Salisbury. Earl-Stoke Park is the seat of the Taylor family. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Melksham, in the diocese of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Erlestoke has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Erlestoke and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Erlestoke, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Erlestoke".