In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Enford like this:
ENFORD, a tything and a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts. The tything lies on the river Avon, in Salisbury plain, 7 miles SSW of Pewsey r. station, and 8½ W by N of Ludgershall; and has a post office under Marlborough. The parish contains also the tythings of Fifield, Chisenbury, Compton, Combe, Littlecott, Long-Street, and Newtown. Acres, 7, 880. Real property, with Fittleton, but without Fifield, £10, 414. Pop., 893. Houses, 189. The parish contains many barrows, and is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £350. Patron, Christ's Hospital, London. The church was destroyed by lightning in 1817, and afterwards rebuilt; and has a lofty spire. There is a Baptist chapel. Charities, £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Enford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Enford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Enford, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Enford".