In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Durrington like this:
DURRINGTON, a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on the river Avon, 2¼ miles N of Amesbury, and 8½ NNE of Wilton r. station. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, 2, 682. Real property, with Bulford and Milston, £7, 235. Rated property of D. alone, £2, 112. Pop., 440. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. An earthwork here, called Durrington Walls, or Long Walls, is supposed to be the remains of an ancient British village. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £100. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is modern; and there is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Durrington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Durrington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Durrington, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd September 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Durrington".