In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Durnford like this:
DURNFORD, a village and a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Avon, 2½ miles SSW of Amesbury, and 4 NNE of Wilton r. station; occupies the site of a Roman settlement; and has a post office under Salisbury. The parish includes also the hamlets of Little Durnford, Netton, Salterton, and Newtown. ...
Acres, 3, 423. Real property, with Wilsford and Lake, Great Woodford a-Little Woodford, £9, 965. Rated property of D. alone, £4, 375. Pop., 553. Houses, 117. The property is divided among a few. Durnford House is a seat of the Earl of Malmsbury; and Little Durnford House is the seat of E. Hinxman, Esq. Ogbury camp, on the brow of a hill, near Durnford House, is an extensive earthwork, resembling more a seat of the ancient Britons than a military station; without any fosse, and intersected by numerous small banks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £175.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is rich Norman, with curious doorways; has an early English square tower; and contains a figured Saxon font, and monuments of the Yonges. The parsonage was once occupied by Harris, the author of " Hermes." There is a Wesleyan chapel.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Durnford, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Durnford ".