In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Donhead St Mary like this:
DONHEAD-ST. MARY, a village and a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Nadder, ½ a mile NE of Donhead-St. Andrew village, and 1¾ SE of Semley r. station. The parish includes also the tythings of Charlton, Dognol, and Haystone; and its post town is Donhead-St. Andrew, under Salisbury. Acres, 5, 247. Rated property, £5, 611. Pop., 1, 482. Houses, 330. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Charlton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £928. Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is old but good, and has a pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Donhead St Mary has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Donhead St Mary and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Donhead St Mary, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 15th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Donhead St Mary".