Place:


Donhead St Andrew Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Donhead St Andrew like this:

DONHEAD-ST. ANDREW, a village and a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Nadder, near its head, and near the boundary with Dorset, 2 miles SSE of Semley r. station, and 3¼ ENE of Shaftesbury; and has a post office under Salisbury. The parish comprises 3, 540 acres. Rated property, £3, 635. Pop., 830. Houses, 180. The property is subdivided. Donhead Hall belonged once to a grandson of Sir Godfrey Kneller, and belongs now to John Du Bonlay, Esq. Tittlepath Hill here is encircled by Castle-Rings camp; and perhaps gave rise to the name Donhead, which seems to be a corruption of Dunheved, signifying the "swelling hill. ...


" The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £814.* Patron, the Rev. W. Dansey. The church is later English, in good condition; has an embattled and pinnacled tower; and contains an ancient Norman font, and a curiously-sculptured column capital. An endowed school has £11.

Donhead St Andrew through time

A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Donhead St Andrew has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Donhead St Andrew and units named after it.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Donhead St Andrew, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11721

Date accessed: 31st July 2014


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Donhead St Andrew".