In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longbridge Deverill like this:
DEVERILL-LONGBRIDGE, a parish and a sub-district in Warminster district, Wilts. The parish lies on the Deverill rivulet, 3 miles S of Warminster town and r. station; includes the hamlet of Crockerton; and has a post office under Warminster. Acres, 4, 156. Real property, £5, 850. Pop., 1, 197. Houses, 286. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged to the abbey of Glastonbury; took the after-part of its name from an ancient bridge, supposed to have been built by the abbots; and passed to the Thynnes, ancestors of the Marquis of Bath. ...
The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacies of Crockerton and Deverill-Monckton, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £350.* Patron, the Marquis of Bath. The church contains monuments of the Thynnes, and an old font; and is good. Thynne's alms-houses have £90; and other charities £20.The sub-district contains seven parish-Pop., 3, 927. Houses, 896.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longbridge Deverill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longbridge Deverill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longbridge Deverill in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longbridge Deverill".