In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brixton Deverill like this:
BRIXTON-DEVERILL, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on a headstream of the river Wiley, and on the Roman road to Salisbury, 5 miles S of Warminster r. station. Post Town, Longbridge-Deverill, under Warminster. Acres, 2,450. Real property, £2,076. Pop., 225. Houses, 47. The property is divided among a few. Alfred halted here a night on his march against the Danes. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £480.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church was repaired in 1862.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brixton Deverill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brixton Deverill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brixton Deverill in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brixton Deverill".