In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Crudwell like this:
CRUDWELL, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; near the Roman road to Cirencester, 4 miles WNW of Minety r. station, and 4 N by E of Malmsbury. It includes the hamlets of Chedglow, Chelworth, Eastcourt, and Murcott: and has a post office under Tetbury. Acres, 4, 780. Real property, £7, 258. Pop., 799. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the Vale of White Horse hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £487.* Patron, the Rev. W. Maskelyne. The church has Norman portions, and is good. A school has £16 from endowment; and other charities £20.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Crudwell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Crudwell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Crudwell in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Crudwell".