In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Coulston like this:
COULSTON (East), a parish in Westbury district, Wilts; at the north-west verge of Salisbury plain, 5¼ miles ENE of Westbury, and about 6½ from Melksham, Trowbridge, and Westbury r. stations. Post town, Edington, under Westbury. Acres, 868. Real property, £3, 013. Pop., 119. Houses, 23. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £168.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is good. Mrs. Delany, the niece of Lord Lansdowne, famous for cutting flowers in paper, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Coulston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Coulston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Coulston in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Coulston".