In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Chamberlayne like this:
COMPTON-CHAMBERLAIN, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the South Devon railway, 1 ¼ mile SE of Dinton r. station, and 4½ W by S of Wilton. It has a post office under Salisbury. Acres, 2, 130. Real property, £2, 371. Pop., 348. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. Compton-Chamberlain House is the seat ofPenruddock, Esq.; and belonged to Colonel Penruddock, who was executed for an attempt to over-throw Cromwell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, not reported.* Patron,Penruddock, Esq. The church contains an obituary of the Penruddocks, and a large brass of a priest; and is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Compton Chamberlayne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Compton Chamberlayne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Chamberlayne, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Compton Chamberlayne".