In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Compton Bassett like this:
COMPTON-BASSETT, a parish in Calne district, Wilts; 2 miles E of Calne r. station, and 7 SSW of Wootton-Bassett. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 2, 632. Real property, £4, 324. Pop., 369. Houses, 83. The property is all in one estate. The manor belonged to the Bassets; and was forfeited by them to the Crown. Compton-Bassett House is the seat of G. H. W. Heneage, Esq.; and commands an extensive view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £497.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is partly Norman, partly later English; and is good. Charities, £7.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Compton Bassett has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Compton Bassett and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Compton Bassett in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Compton Bassett".