In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Collingbourne Kingston like this:
COLLINGBOURNE-KINGSTON, a village and a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts. The village stands on an affluent of the river Avon, 3¾ miles NW of Ludgers-hall, and 6 S by E of Savernake r. station; contains several old cottages of ornately-worked brick and flint; and has a post office under Marlborough and an inn. The parish includes also the tythings of Southton, Brunton, Kingston, and Aughton. Acres, 7, 293. Real property, £8, 014. Pop., 903. Houses, 169. The property is divided among a few. ...
The manor belonged to the Collingbournes; one of whom was executed, in the time of Richard III., on accusation of being a party to Buckingham's rebellion. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £261.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church was reported in 1859 as bad. There is a Wesleyan chapel. John Norris, the philosophical opponent of Locke, was a native; and his father was vicar.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Collingbourne Kingston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Collingbourne Kingston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Collingbourne Kingston, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Collingbourne Kingston".