In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Colerne like this:
COLERNE, a parish in Chippenham district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, near the Fosse way, 2 miles NNE of Box r. station, and 3½ WNW of Corsham. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 3, 620. Real property, £6, 010. Pop., 1, 040. Houses, 239. The property is subdivided. The surface is hilly. One ancient camp is on Colerne Down; and another is in Colerne Park. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £92.* Patron, New College, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, and in tolerable Condition; and there is an independent chapel. Charities, £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Colerne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Colerne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Colerne in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 04th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Colerne".