In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Codford like this:
CODFORD-ST. MARY, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on the river Wiley, near Codford r. station, 4 miles SE of Heytesbury. It has a post office under Bath. Acres, 2, 123. Real property, with Codford-St. Peter, £4, 086. Pop., 404. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Codford-Hill is crowned by a curious earthwork, called Ogbury or Codford Circle, supposed to have been formed by Druids for religious rites; and commands a most interesting view. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £306.* Patron, St. John's College, Oxford. The church is later English, in good condition; and there is an Independent chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Codford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Codford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Codford in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd August 2014
You have reached this page because, for example, "Codford St Mary" was one of the names of this administrative unit which we associate with Codford.
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Codford St Mary".