In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chute like this:
CHUTE, a village and a parish in the district of Andover and county of Wilts. The village stands on the Roman road from Winchester, under Chute Down, 3¼ miles NE of Ludgershall, and 6¼ NW of Andover r. station; and it bears sometimes the name of Upper Chute. The parish includes also the hamlet of Cadley; and has a post office, of the name of Chute-Standen, under Andover. Acres, 3, 181. Real property, £2, 710. Pop., 538. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. Chute Lodge is the seat of the Rev. H. Fowle; and Conholt Park, of Lady Charles Wellesley. Haydon-Hill Castle, on the farm of Fosbury, is an ancient camp. The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £244.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is very good. Charities, £7. Corderoy, the divine, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chute has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chute and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chute, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chute".