In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cholderton like this:
CHOLDERTON (West), a parish in Amesbury district, Wilts; on the verge of the county, 2¾ miles W by N of Grateley r. station, and 5 ENE of Amesbury. It has a post office, of the name of Cholderton, under Salisbury. Acres, 1, 661. Real property, with Allington and Newton-Toney, £4, 637. Pop., 191. Houses, 38. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Foyles; and belongs now to the Dowager Countess Nelson. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £225.* Patron, Oriel College, Oxford. The church was built in 1844; and is in the perendicular style, with an octagonal tower and a spire. Charities, £12.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cholderton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cholderton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cholderton, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cholderton".