In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chittoe like this:
CHITTOE, or Chitway, a tything in Bishops-Canning parish, and a chapelry in Bishops-Canning and Bromham parishes, Wilts. The tything lies on the Roman road to Bath, 4½ miles NE by E of Melksham r. station, and 5 NW of Devizes. Acres, 1, 100. Real property, £1, 275. Pop., 180. Houses, 44. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Post town, Bromham, under Chippenham. Pop., 382. Houses, 85. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £90. Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chittoe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chittoe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chittoe, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chittoe".