In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chitterne like this:
CHITTERNE-ALL-SAINTS, or Chiltern-All Saints, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Wiley, near Knock Castle, 4 miles NNE of Codford r. station, and 8½ E by S of Warminster. Post town, Heytesbury, under Bath. Acres, 4, 476. Rated property, £2, 482. Pop., 509. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The parish is a meet for the South Wilts hounds. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Chitterue-St. Mary, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, 319.* Patron, alternately the Bishop of Salisbury and the Dean and Chapter. The church was built in 1863, after designs by Wyatt; is in the perpendicular English style, 102 feet long and 52 wide; has an apsidal chancel with four unsymmetrical windows, and a western tower, 56 feet high; and consists of stone and flint, with Bath stone dressings.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chitterne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chitterne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chitterne in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th June 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chitterne".