In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chirton like this:
CHURTON, Chirton, or Cherrington, a village and a parish in Devizes district, Wilts. The village stands near the Ridgeway, and the river Avon, 3 ½ miles SW of Woodborough r. station, and 5 ½ SE by E of Devizes; and has a post office, of the name Chirton, under Devizes. Real property, £1, 599. The parish includes also the tything of Conock. Acres, 1,858. Real property, £2, 733. Pop., 382. Houses, 94. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the dio. cese of Salisbury. Value, £168. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is excellent.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chirton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chirton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chirton, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chirton".