In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilton Foliat like this:
CHILTON-FOLIATT, a parish in the district of Hungerford, and counties of Wilts and Berks; on the river Kennet, near the Reading and Devizes railway, 2 miles NW by W of Hungerford. It includes the hamlet of Leverton; and has a post office under Hungerford. Acres, 3, 740. Real property, £4, 731. Pop., 691. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Foliatts; passed to the Warines, and others; and was given, by Sutton, to the Charter-house. Chilton House and Chilton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £994. Patron, F. L. Popham, Esq. The church is very good; and contains some old monuments. Charities, £24.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chilton Foliat has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chilton Foliat and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilton Foliat, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 17th September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilton Foliat".