In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilton Foliat like this:
CHILTON-FOLIATT, a parish in the district of Hungerford, and counties of Wilts and Berks; on the river Kennet, near the Reading and Devizes railway, 2 miles NW by W of Hungerford. It includes the hamlet of Leverton; and has a post office under Hungerford. Acres, 3, 740. Real property, £4, 731. ...
Pop., 691. Houses, 133. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged to the Foliatts; passed to the Warines, and others; and was given, by Sutton, to the Charter-house. Chilton House and Chilton Lodge are chief residences. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £994. Patron, F. L. Popham, Esq. The church is very good; and contains some old monuments. Charities, £24.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilton Foliat, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Chilton Foliat ".