In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chilmark like this:
CHILMARK, a village and a parish in Tisbury district, Wilts. The village stands near the Roman road to Bath, 2¾ miles WNW of Dinton r. station, and 4 E of Hindon, and has a post office under Salisbury, and a fair on 30 July. The parish includes also the tything of Rudge. Acres, 3, 154. Real property, with Fonthill-Bishop, £5, 008. Pop., 642. Houses, 134. The property is divided among a few. Part of the surface is down. A Portland bed freestone, which furnished the material for Salisbury cathedral, is extensively quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £426. Patron, the Earl of Pembroke. The church is excellent. John de Chilmark, the "Archimedes" of the time of Richard II., was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chilmark has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chilmark and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chilmark, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chilmark".