In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cherhill like this:
CHERHILL, a parish in Calne district, Wilts; near Wans Dyke, 2½ miles E by S of Calne r. station, and 7 NNE of Devizes. It has a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 1,817. Real property, £2, 574. Pop., 364. Houses, 88. The property is all in one estate. An ancient square camp with double works, called Oldbury, is on the summit of a chalk hill; and the figure of a horse, 157 feet long, cut out of the turf about 1780, and visible for many miles, is on the side of the same hill. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £300.* Patron, the Bishop of Salisbury. The church is old but very good; and there is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cherhill has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cherhill and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cherhill in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cherhill".