In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlton like this:
CHARLTON, a parish in Malmsbury district, Wilts; 2¼ miles NE of Malmsbury, and 4 WSW of Minety r. station. It as a post office under Chippenham. Acres, 4,780. Real property, £4,926. Pop., 621. Houses, 129. The property is not much divided. The manor belonged to Malmsbury Abbey; passed to the Knevits; and belongs now to the Earl of Suffolk. The mansion on it, Charlton House, is a stately edifice, of Jacobean architecture, with west front by Inigo Jones; contains a large collection of valuable paintings; and was frequently visited by the poet Dryden. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Westport, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church is early English; and contains the burial-vault of the Earls of Suffolk. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Charlton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Charlton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 03rd March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charlton".