In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Charlton like this:
CHARLTON, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; on the river Avon, near Salisbury plain, 3¼ miles S of Woodborough r. station, and 8½ SE by E of Devizes. Post Town, Pewsey, under Marlborough. Acres, 1,706. Real property, £1,835. Pop., 222. Houses, 44. The property is divided among three. An alien priory was founded here, in 1187, by Reginald de Raveley; given, at the suppression of alien monasteries, to St. Catherine's hospital; and transferred, in the time of Edward VI., to the Sheringtons. A Roman camp is at Casterley. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £143.* Patron, Christ Church, Oxford. The church is old but excellent; with a tower; and has a mural brass of 1524. Stephen Duck, the author of the "Thrasher's Labour," was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Charlton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Wiltshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Charlton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Charlton in North Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Charlton".