In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broad Chalke like this:
BROAD-CHALK, a village and a parish in Wilton district, Wilts. The village stands in the vale of Chalk, near Cranborne Chase, 4 miles S by E of Dinton r. station, and 5½ SW of Wilton; and has a post office under Salisbury. It was for some time the residence of John Aubrey, the antiquary. The parish includes also the hamlets of Knighton and Stoke-Farthing. Acres, 6,904. Real property, with Bower-Chalk, £9,812. Pop., 796. Houses, 164. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged once to the Gawens; and was given to Wilton Abbey. ...
An ancient camp, of 5 acres, occurs at Bury-Orchard; and a barrow, called Gawen's Barrow, is near the camp. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Bower-Chalk, in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £336.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church belongs to the time of Henry VIII., with a Norman doorway on the west; and is in good condition. There is an Independent chapel; and the foundationstone of a new one, to be in the Gothic style, was laid in 1862.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Broad Chalke has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Broad Chalke and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broad Chalke, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Broad Chalke".