In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bower Chalke like this:
BOWER-CHALK, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; near Cranborne Chase, 5 miles S of Dinton r. station, and 7½ SW of Wilton. Post Town, Broad-Chalk, under Salisbury. Acres, 2,966. Real property, with BroadChalk, £9,812. Pop., 496. Houses, 104. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Broad-Chalk, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is tolerable.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bower Chalke has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bower Chalke and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bower Chalke, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd December 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bower Chalke".