In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Castle Eaton like this:
CASTLE-EATON, a small village and a parish in Highworth district, Wilts. The village stands on the river Thames, adjacent to the Thames and Severn canal, 3½ miles ENE of Cricklade, and 6¼ NE of Purton r. station. The parish includes also the tything of Lushill; and its Post Town is Kempsford under Swindon. Acres, 1,956. Real property, with Lushill and Marston-Maisey, £6,171. Pop., 286. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. Lushill House is the seat of the Archers. A place called the Butts seems to have been notable, in old times, for the practice of archery. The parish is famous for cheese. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £633.* Patron, the Rev.E. Bowlby. The church dates from about 1400; has a singular cupola; and is very good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Castle Eaton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Swindon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Castle Eaton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Castle Eaton, in Swindon and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th April 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Castle Eaton".