In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bishops Cannings like this:
BISHOPS-CANNINGS, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Devizes, Wilts. The village stands on the Kent and Avon canal, 1½ mile S of Wans Dyke, and 3 NE of Devizes r. station, and has a post office under Devizes.The parish includes the tythings of Bourton, Easton, Chittoe, Coate, and Horton, and the chapelry of St. James or Southbroom. Acres, 12,641. Real property, £11,114. Pop., 4,062. Houses, 750. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged, till the time of Henry VII., to the ancient family of Canynge. ...
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £395.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury. The church is early English, with Anglo-Norman interior; is supposed to have been built about the same time as Salisbury cathedral; was interiorly renovated in 1829; and contains an organ which cost £440, the gift of William Baley, a native, who went round the world with Captain Cook. The chapelries of Chittoe and Southbroom are separate charges.-The subdistrict contains seven parishes and parts of two others. Acres, 22,892. Pop., 3,812. Houses, 854.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bishops Cannings has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kennet. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bishops Cannings and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bishops Cannings, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bishops Cannings".