In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burcombe like this:
BURCOMBE, a parish in Wilton district, Wilts; on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Salisbury and Yeovil railway, 1½ mile W of Wilton. It includes the tything of North Burcombe, and is itself sometimes called South Burcombe; and its Post Town is Wilton, under Salisbury. Acres, 1,450. Rated property, £1,857. Pop., 374. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £52.* Patron, St. John's Hospital, Wilton. The church is so old as to have traces of Saxon; and was restored and enlarged in 1860.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Burcombe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Salisbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Burcombe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burcombe, in Salisbury and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Burcombe".